First of all, we are very grateful to Southampton City Council who have awarded us a grant to go toward preparing our site for a building. Many thanks to them.
Next, we held another open meeting last week and a small group (lots of people away) discussed many topics. Highlights included:
- We now have a functioning Bank Account.
- We have our first grant (see above).
- We are making progress on the lease for the land, with some good news in the next few weeks hopefully.
- It has been confirmed that we will need planning permission for our shed, so we will have to plan, and budget, for this.
- We discussed options for the building ranging from building one from shipping containers (to be clad probably in wood to make it nicer to look at), recycled portacabins or a new build. It was agreed that we would do more work on the costings and plus and minuses of each before presenting our ideas and recommendations at a future open meeting.
- We are looking for opportunities at local events to advertise that we exist and to get more people engaged, so if you know of any opportunities please let us know.
- We are looking at ways that people can donate and be supporters of our shed. Look for further announcements over the coming months.
So things are becoming clearer, but still lots to do before we can start building.
On Easter Monday we will be at the St James’ Park Easter EggsTravOrganZa from 12-4pm. Why not come along and meet a few of us? Event details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/178839046364038/
More soon, including dates for future open meetings.